Brian Massey does a live markup of an OK Cupid dating profile using the same criteria that he uses when critiquing a business landing page.
Conversion Sciences employee Megan Hoover has agreed to be the test subject, using conversion optimization techniques on her dating profile.
There are five key takeaways that you should consider on your landing pages.
1. Don’t talk about yourself and your company
How often do you mention your company or your product names? Add to the that number of times you say “we”, “us”, “our”, etc. Have you forgotten your reader?
In the video, we transform the sentence “(I’m) a northern yankee in the south…” to “Northern Yankees are known for having warm hearts.” Both communicate the same thing, but one does so and states why this is a good thing.
2. Design your copy for scanners
Much of your copy is invisible to scanners.
Help them out by using things to keep their wandering eyes on track.
- Frequent headings
- Bulleted Lists
- Highlighted, bold or italicized text
Don’t over-do it, but help a scanner out.
3. Repeat the call to action in key places
If you’re asking the visitor to take action at only the top and bottom of a long page, you may be missing key conversions.
Repeat the call to action with each relevant proof point or section.
4. “Show the product” with images and use Captions
Use images to explain your value proposition but don’t leave the meaning to your reader’s imagination.
Use captions and in-image text to spell out what they should take from each image.
5. Avoid distractions and irrelevant links
Landing pages have one goal. Focus on that goal and resist irrelevant distractions, such as social media icons, newsletter signups and links to other parts of the site.
All of this should work on your dating profile
These are solid practices when designing a landing page, and should apply to a dating profile as well. Readers are people.
Our next step is to modify Megan’s dating profile based on my suggestions and see if we get a higher conversion rate.
- What are the Steps of Conversion Optimization - August 9, 2021
- How Often Can I Email my B2B List: Four Lessons Learned - May 9, 2021
- To the Bat Cave! Your Own Secret Conversion Marketing Laboratory - April 25, 2021